In order to properly communicate with other engineers / scientists you must use the correct language .How can you use concise language to convey not only what you measured, but how precise the measurement was ?
- Explain the utility of the proper use of units
- Define and give examples of value, units, and dimensions in a given expression
- Convert from one set of units to another
- Identify an invalid equation, based on dimensional arguments
- Compare two quantities using a dimensionless group
- Correctly use scientific notation
- Write a value in scientific notation(using the correct number of significant digits)
- Determine the number of significant digits both in a given value as well as in the result of arithmetic
While measuring data is enormously useful you cannot possibly measure every possible bit of information under every possible condition(it would take too long and would be far too expensive).How can you use limited data to obtain enough information to get by ?
- Utilize curve - fitting or linear interpolation to estimate unmeasured data from measured data
- "Check" your results by order - of - magnitude estimation, back substitution, etc.